Alan Dershowitz recently released with J-TV a video listing at least 5 reasons to reject BDS, so take a listen or read the list here if you are a still debating to support the BDS movement.
All of this material is strictly from the video and I am merely creating this post because I strongly support it and want to give my own opinion on why these 5 reasons were listed. I feel that the 5 reasons listed from Alan Dershowitz is enough to say NO to the BDS campaign, although for the record there are a LOT more than 5 reasons to reject the movement.
Professor of Law at Harvard, Alan Dershowitz, lists his 5 reasons to reject BDS
- BDS places all the blame for the current stalemate in the MIDDLE EAST on ISRAEL – Palestinians have rejected 7 offers to have a Palestinian state, the last being in 2008 from Prime Minister Ehud Olmert. He offered the Palestinian leadership almost a complete withdrawal from the West Bank and a division of Jerusalem based on demographics. I’m sure Abbas is kicking himself for rejecting that offer. Quite frankly it’s ridiculous that the BDS movement completely blames Israel for everything, and criticizes nothing from the Palestinian side (even terrorism)
- BDS emboldens the Palestinian leadership to reject negotiations – They believe that the BDS movement will lead them to a Palestinian state, or some form of change that will work in their favor like in South Africa. I can see why they would think that, because there is a list of BDS successes. However, the list of BDS failures is much longer, and Israeli has never been stronger economically, politically, and militarily.
- Boycotting and Divesting only from Israel sends a terrible message and violates the core principle of human rights – We’ve been over Israel’s human rights record numerous times. Freedom of speech, the press, freedom of religion, rule of law and democracy. All great reasons listed, and they are ALL true despite cries of an apartheid system, which is completely false. No Arab/Muslim country in the Middle East have these kinds of human rights principles, and the fact that the BDS movement targets the ONLY country in the ME that does is outrageous. I’d also like to point out that none of these rights would exist for any Jew in their countries.
- It hurts other causes – I know many students that have experienced this including myself when I was a university student. If there are other protests for other causes such as the Syrian crisis, or even the women’s march, somehow the BDS movement makes it about the Palestinians and love to plug in their agenda with the other causes. This really hurts the other causes and even makes them a look a little illegitimate in the eyes of people who don’t really have an opinion on the Israeli/Palestinian matter.
- BDS promotes anti-Semitism because it portrays Israel as the worst offender – In my opinion, this is the most important reason to reject BDS. It is just a form of anti-Semitism in the 21st century. It goes without saying because anyone that has dealt with BDS supporters, whether it’s on campus, or organizational, has experienced this in some form. I myself have been spat on, bullied, and called ugly names because of my support for Israel. Not to mention the kind of chatter on social media such as Twitter. I can go on and on about this point, but it stands for itself.
What do you think about this list? Do you agree or do you think there is something missing? Let us know in the comments, and share the post!